Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My new stove



I have a 36" Dacor stove that is nearly 20 years old.  I love it, but I don't plan on taking it to the river house.  My burners operate on bottle gas, and it would have to be converted to city gas should I move it.  It's really too old to sink any more money into it.  Unfortunately, the cost of these stoves has nearly doubled since I bought mine. 

Leave it to Allen, my housekeeper and obviously good friend, to stay on it and make sure I don't have to downgrade to a lesser stove.  He found one exactly like mine on eBay, new in box, for less than half the price of a new one.  But unfortunately, he found it right after the auction closed.

Then he found one in St. Joe, MI that was a Dacor, but a double oven 48".  Mine is only 36".  Well, I wasn't even sure it would fit in my new kitchen.  I called the seller and told him I was interested but was waiting on the prints for my new kitchen.  On Friday, the architect said he could fit the stove in.  I loved the floor plan, was very excited and called the owner of the stove.  Was it still available?  Yes, it was.  Oh, happy day!

Then the architect called.  He said he got concerned because he had used drawings that a friend of mine had drawn up and knew the fit was so tight that there could be problems if his measurements were just a few inches off.  He went to the house and did his own measurements.  Good thing he did.  The stove would not fit in the spot where he had put it.

John worked on the drawing for the kitchen and sent me an alternate floor plan.  I wasn't crazy about it, but I wanted that stove.  He said he is designing an alcove with the exhaust system behind a soffet, and that appeals to me.  He said he is working up a drawing for the alcove.  So I am happy again.

http://di1-2.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/73/a1/66/37398432-260x260-0-0_Dacor+ER48D+Stainless+Steel.jpg
This is my new baby!
In a good week, I net about $40 for my baked goods.  Let's see, considering time value of money, the stove will be paid for a few months this side of my 75th birthday.  Better late than never, hey?





No comments:

Post a Comment