Thursday, April 12, 2012

I have a hardware store!

Recently we had a problem with our sump pump.  The pump was clogged, the sump hole a mess!  Luis, bless his heart, got in there and got it cleaned out.  He told me that we needed a screen in there, to get him some hardware cloth to strain out the big bits before they could clog up the pump.

I had to go to Tractor Supply for some other things and inquired if they had hardware cloth.  I wanted a piece that was 30" x 30".  Sure, I could buy hardware cloth, but I would have to buy a twelve-foot roll.  I said, "No thanks.  have a hardware store!"

I love my hardware store.  It is very near the Farmers Market and is independently owned, although they are aligned with Builders.  I suppose that allows them to get some price breaks.  Anything to help keep these small shops in business.  I really do hate shopping at Menard's and Lowe's.  I understand the concept with the big box stores, but I feel so totally helpless in them!  You have to run down a clerk, and half the time they are clueless as to where I can find things, much less how to use them or how to fix something.  Some are okay, but as I said, I have to hunt them down.

I left Tractor Supply and figured I would stop by my hardware store today after market.  I did, and I was not disappointed.  I asked them if I could take some pictures for my blog.  Here they are.  

PS - I stopped in today to give them a card with the web address so they could see their pictures.  Two customers were there, and two shop people, having an intense discussion on how to fix a handle.  Nothing like that goes on in a big box store!


A customer checks out - no waiting in line

Cutting to order
Stocking shelves

My hero, the hardware cloth cutter

Variety of goods for sale


The old world
Sort of new world

My purchase - $4.63 worth of hardware cloth, what I need and no more.
 

2 comments:

  1. You have great blog with very good pictures and detail.
    Thank you and please keep posting.
    I would like to know more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It is so busy around here this time of year that I haven't had much time to write. Greenhouse is shutting down next week, so time will be a little more plentiful. :)

    ReplyDelete