Thursday, September 17, 2009

Now or never . . .

I am going away for a couple of days, at last making some time for myself.  The house sitter is lined up, so that is a big load off, but I'm a bit stressed.  I realized this morning that I am out of cat food.  The big light bulb is out in the milking parlor and there are no spares on the shelf.  Found a note from the milker saying we are about out of filters.  One of the deer hunters is coming out to mow pastures tomorrow and I just remembered I have to get gas for the big Farmall tractor.  No compromising on any of this stuff - it HAS to get done before I leave. 

Then there is the worry of emergencies while I am away.  I will be where my cell cannot get reception.  When I went to my class reunion, I was a few miles from the hall where we were meeting when I got a call from the milker.  She asked, "Are you about home?"

"Yes," I said, smiling with anticipation at seeing my old classmates.

"Good.  One of the cows bolted into the equipment area and broke a couple of pipes.  The vacuum pump is down!"  Then I realized she didn't mean "back home," but home to the farm. Oh, dear!  She had called a couple of repairmen, but no one was available.  I told her to get out the Duck Tape.  Works every time!  But this is just the sort of thing I worry about when I am not there.  I can only hope that last weekend was not a warm up for what will go wrong this weekend. 

We will be staying in a very rustic cabin buried in the woods in Michigan.  We don't spend much time indoors during daylight hours.  At night it is eat, play cards, do tai chi, and talk-talk-talk.  It is definitely a decompression weekend, and that means no schedule.  Also, no hot water!  But there is a stove and a nice big stock pot to heat water in, and we get by. 

Well, I must get on with tonight's tasks.  Probably should start to lay out what I am going to take along.  I'm leaving from market tomorrow, gone for two nights, so I will not be here for the nightly count.  But tonight, there are 15 chickens and 3 calves.  So all is well on the farm, at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment