Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I've been sadly uncommunicative.

I did take some pics the other night, because I know you enjoy them.  However, I haven't had time to upload them.   I am always a busy person, but I do not remember ever being this busy.  I don't know what to do about it.  I keep thinking in a week or two, I will get caught up.

What did I do last year?  Basically I did it alone, with some after school help from Clay.  Androo is working around 30 hours a week and we are still behind!  The garden is going in this week - that is, the tomatoes are already done, and today being a root day, more radish seeds went in, and lots of beets.

Tomorrow we will get in replacement plants for the broccoli.  The first planting is not doing well.  Thank goodness for a greenhouse.  We will pull some of the early ones, leave the best of them, and put in more where the first ones died.  I was so preoccupied with calves and breaking heifers that I didn't irrigate.  One should NOT have to irrigate in April!  Except this year.

Then we will get in squash, melons, cukes, pumpkins, cauliflower and cabbage.  The garden will be pretty full at that point, with a little room saved for carrots and beans.  One of my compost piles is yielding some topnotch material this year.  So we are really planting tight - cramming in lots more than usual.

Well, I have a ton of work to do.  I'm going to get the camera and add the pictures I promised you, then I need to get back to paperwork.  Sigh . . .

Chickens are busy as usual!



Androo has one row of mulching done under the tomato hammocks.  Look at that heavy coat,  This was just a couple of weeks ago, and he has been planting in 90º weather for the last two days.  Quite a change.









If you look close, you can see the rows of potatoes peeking through the mulch.  Soon it will be a forest of green.






The calves are growing up fast!  Here are Blossom and Caramel.









And here is Delaney.  We are planning on raising these three and breeding them for future dairy cows.  This means in 2012, I will be dealing with breaking in three more heifers. 

Breaking in Smarty Pants, Dolly and Lucky this year is the main reason I haven't had time to write lately.  Oh, well, they are worth it.  They are all well behaved and milking up a storm.  In two years, so will these three beautiful girls.

The greenhouse is emptying out fast.  The empty shelf was chock full of tomato plants just a couple of weeks ago.  Now it is empty.  The peppers will be moved over there, and we will take down the table with the peppers to make room for the brooder box for the chicks.  They will be here next week - 25 more Golden Campines, and 25 Buckeyes.

1 comment:

  1. You are a machine woman! Don't be apologetic for your pace of posting. You are doing fantastic. Missing you...

    ReplyDelete