Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Campine pullet is laying!

I have been anxiously awaiting the first pullet egg from the chicks I bought last May.  They were born on May 23, arrived here when two days old.  There were 30 of them to start, but as usual, a few of them bit the dust as young'uns.  But I think there are still around 26 of them.  So once they all start laying, given their average laying rate, that should mean up to two dozen extra eggs a day - double what I get now!  Since I have a waiting list for my eggs, it will be nice to have the extra ones.

It is very hard to get certified organic eggs from REALLY free-range chickens - they are outside and in the pastures from dawn to dusk - that are never fed soy.  So that is the claim to fame for these eggs.

Here is a pic of the first of the Campine pullet eggs.  It's pretty nice sized, but not as big as Goldie's first egg was.

First Campine pullet egg on left

2 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    I just found your farm blog and am reading through your entries about chickens. I enjoy it immensely and am learning a lot. We have 4 chickens of our own and keep them in our backyard. I was raised on a farm, but my wife is a cityslicker. Take care of those campines.
    All the best,
    David/ :-)
    P.S. If you care to stop by, my garden blog is always open. http://tropicaltexana.blogspot.com
    I'm down here along the Texas Gulf Coast.
    Last thing..I noticed you retired from Aerospace. Was it with NASA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying! I've been remiss on blogging lately, so much to do! But we had a calf last night, so something great to write about.

    Retired from Honeywell, was technical sales manager for airplane wheels and brakes.

    ReplyDelete