Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pain? What pain?

I take a reading daily to see whether or not I am in ketosis (have been 99% of the time for the last four years as of January), and this morning I wasn't surprised to see a reading of 40.  I rarely attain that.  One little cheat, and I'm at 15, sometimes 5, and occasionally I drop out altogether.  What is interesting is that I slept well last night, had absolutely NO pain, shoulder was quiet, bursitis in hip was a non-issue.  My mind has been clear and focused all day.

I wonder how much "illness" could be cured by eating a diet high in fat and low in carbohydrates.  If it is true that insulin resistance is the precursor of nearly all of our Western physical ills, then we need to quit pushing that latest food plate (replaced the ridiculous pyramid) that is so heavy on grains.  I know more people who can't tolerate gluten.  Where is gluten?  In grain!  Why do we need it?  I don't think we do.

On top of that, there now is a growing body of evidence that a low carbohydrate diet can affect mood.  How much better to eat a steak topped with blue cheese, maybe a lettuce salad heavy on the dressing and a mess of greens cooked in bacon grease.  Then top it off with a shot of whiskey (no beer or wine, please, they are full of carbohydrates).  All of those things we were told not to eat - and they have moved to the top of the list of GOOD foods.  Well, maybe not the whiskey, but I did include that so that you could see that giving up beer and wine isn't all bad.  ;-)


Follow this link if you want to read more, lest you think I am speaking off the cuff.  The use of ketogenic diets for better health

Nix the potatoes, rice, pasta and fruit, bring on the butter, the meat and the greens.  Try it.  You might like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment