Monday, July 30, 2018

All the nuts and bolts of getting ready for surgery

I had my ticket out to Boston purchased - one way. And I've arranged for boarding my dog, Fred. That was about it. So I got in gear today.

The Resource Center at Dana Farber helps cancer patients get discounted rooms at the Hampton Inn. There is only one night with a discounted room available, but the woman who helped me said to book for the whole time any of the three of us are there, and if a discounted room becomes available, you don't even have to move. So when my son checks out on Monday, they will charge us the hospital medical rate, which is helpful, when no discounted rooms are available, but if any rooms became available during our stay, then we will be charged that low price, which is a fraction of the hospital medical rate. I am very thankful. It is pretty costly for all of us to fly out there. Would have been much easier in Indianapolis, but I know I made the right decision, and my kids are standing behind me.

Dr. Wang's nurse told me that she is ninety-five percent sure it will be five days, but it could be as few as three (I don't think they will be able to do laparoscopy, so that is probably unreasonable), or as many as seven. So how do I schedule a ticket back home? Pay the extra $20 for trip insurance, that's how. I also upgraded on trip home to a seat with more leg room and early boarding. At $56, that seems like a bargain, and I got one for my son, too.

Fred will be going to Sue's Small Stuff for a visit there. He shouldn't be home alone, even though the neighbors have offered to care for him. Dogs need company. A neighbor girl is coming over to go over daily tasks here, care and feeding of the parakeets Pumpkin and Sweetie Pie who will have each other for company, and my crazy cat Holly Berry who will enjoy having the whole house to herself so long as the food bowl is filled regularly. Tomato plants will have to be soaked daily. There has been too much work put into them to have them shrivel up and die while I am gone.

My son is coming up Wednesday for the last of the yard work that Valerie and I didn't get to last week. It's his birthday present to me - edging, trimming, another mowing with the repaired lawnmower (sharpened blades, bad wheel fixed), giving the bushes in front of the house a haircut, and MAYBE power washing the north wall of the house. It's getting pretty green! It's only the wall by the kitchen that is bad, not sure why only that area. I think I cook too much!!

I have been so worried about my pickle juice! Was planning to pour into seven 3-oz. plastic bottles since it is the only thing that relieves my nightly leg cramps. Well, guess what? Amazon has concentrated pickle juice shots in 2.5 ounce bottles, which meets airline requirements.

I'll be taking my CBD oil, and my frankincense, and my Deluxe Sleep Oil. I will have a veritable pharmacy of my special "Susie scrips." That ought to go over really well with the hospital staff! LOL

My last blood test to check liver function is Wednesday. Then nothing more until I get to Boston, where there will be one more round of blood tests, plus the clean-out routine. Ugh!

One week from Wednesday, with my alimentary canal spotless, it will be slice, snip, chop-chop, stitch, and all will be well! I will know just how much was (or wasn't) going on in that thing by the time I wake up. My daughter will be there, and insists in staying all night at the hospital the first night. My thought is, "What are the hospital staff for?" Hers is, "I've been through this with my husband (islet cell tumor in pancreas) and one of my daughters (ruptured appendix). I need to be there the first night - things go wrong!!"

Well, I have been at this all day. Time to hang it up! I'm done for now. The rest can wait.

Love my kids and all of my friends and family members who have been holding me in their thoughts and prayers. Thanks to all!!








No comments:

Post a Comment