Monday, January 31, 2011

Storm is brewing

My daughter said that they are anticipating schools to be closed Tuesday and Wednesday, high winds and ice predicted.  Forecast here, about 150 miles north of her, is for up to 24 inches of snow, winds up to 40 mph.  It's kind of hard to believe.  Sky has been sunny most of the day, and it is in the high 20s - too warm for that ice they are predicting here as well.  I put a heat lamp out in the Moop, just in case the storm develops into the worst case scenario. 

The girls are having to deal with a light coming on in the morning about 6 a.m., and not going out until 8 p.m.  So far, I haven't seen any dramatic improvement in egg production.  In fact, I am supposed to deliver two dozen eggs, and there are only 13 eggs in the fridge.  They had better get cracking!  I need to take a dozen with me to market tomorrow, and one of the shareholders is picking up milk early in anticipation of the storm.  So I will need another dozen for her at about 4 pm.  Well, I will have what I will have.  I do not know how to lay eggs.

This has been a rough winter.  I have always enjoyed snow, but except for a few days before the New Year and another few days in late November or early December, the ground has been white - solid white - only an errant weed sticking out of the snow here and there.

Spring is looking pretty good right now.  There are onions growing in the atrium, as well as a huge tub of lettuces.  I am ready to go out to the greenhouse for a little sunbathing on the next sunny day.  I have to do something to get past the winter blues!

I will keep you posted on the storm.  Plenty of firewood cut, and the freezers, fridges and cupboards are all well stocked.  I should be able to weather the storm quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment