Sunday, September 23, 2012

Why I have been silent lately . . .

My farm is for sale.  It has been very difficult for me.  I've looked at other places, looked at lake homes in Michigan, driven by homes in nice neighborhoods in South Bend and Mishawaka, found a river home in Mishawaka that I liked, but just couldn't wrap my mind around it.  I walk around here, have been nearly in tears thinking, "I don't want to leave this."  And yet my body is telling me I have to.  I have fallen three times on my new knee, and it is swollen and painful.  I have a torn rotator cuff that needs to be repaired, but there is no way I can do that with the garden to take care of.  The shoulder causes me a great deal of pain, but the recovery from surgery is difficult, and it just won't work so long as I am here dealing with escaping cows, chickens and rows of potatoes to dig.

I have been moaning and groaning to my friends that I missed a great deal - I should have just cashed in my IRA to buy the little house on the river.  My friend Phyllis, who I suspicion was getting tired of me moaning, finally insisted that something better would come along.  I kid you not, within two weeks of her telling me that, I found another house on the river, one I like better, a yard that is nearly a half acre, with a gentle sloping lawn all the way to the sand beach at the river's edge. 

We are set to close on October 12.  It will be a bit of a stretch for me financially until this place sells, but I will work around it.  Also, the river house needs some work, and I am busy with contractors and work plans.  Hence, my already busy days are now packed with even more tasks. 

Now, it is not that I am looking forward to leaving here, but that I am looking forward to my new home!  I like the layout of the house.  I'm already dreaming of putting an atrium on the south side as soon as the farm sells, and adding a dock on the river, with of course a pontoon boat!

So right now, garden is in full swing, the pullets have started laying, I'm cranking up inventory in the soap room for the holidays, AND I am making drawings and work lists and scheduling contractors to give me quotes.  When I find a minute, I will keep you posted of my progress.  Pictures will be coming soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment