Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Winter is still here, no doubt!

It is beautiful tonight, soft snow floating down, near the freezing mark - warm enough that I dashed out to the Moop to close up the girls with no coat, just my hooded sweatshirt.

The chickens are very happy.  I cut into a block of cheese (I thought it felt a little punky while it was aging) and it was moldy - and very stinky, and not in a good Limburger cheese sort of way.  I didn't want to give it to the dogs, since Bear has already suffered a bout of pancreatitis and the cheese is fatty.  I decided to take a bit of it out to the Moop.  Oh, my, did they enjoy it!  Such cackling and discussion over who has the best piece, with much running around from corner to corner with their prizes.

Recently a person wrote me that humans are the only beings on the planet that drink the milk of other species.  I've heard that before and it is one that has always puzzled me.  What are they talking about?  Every critter on this place loves a bit of milk, or the whey when I am making cheese, in tonight's instance, cheese I deem rotten - but the chickens deem a delight.

I am enjoying this evening because tomorrow is not supposed to be very enjoyable - lots of snow, up to 18" over the next two days, 20 to 30 mph winds, four to five foot drifts.  In anticipation of this, my neighbor plowed out my 2,400 foot drive, bless him.  If he waits until all of the snow has fallen, his 25 horse John Deere just ain't gonna make it through the drifts with the plow down.

We will hope that his foresight means that he can make another pass through tomorrow night.  I'm supposed to get chicken feed and minerals for the cows tomorrow morning, but I am pretty sure that isn't going to happen.  Time to hunker down and do "inside" things for a couple of days.  The other stuff can wait.

Hope you are all snug as a bug in a rug this evening, and that you stay warm and dry over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment