Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Time flies when you're having fun . . .

Last night Androo got the first of the tomato seeds into seedling trays.  I'm about to go out to the greenhouse and finish the job for our first planting of tomatoes.  I'm carrying 67 different varieties this year, more than usual.  That is primarily a result of my seed suppliers sending more complementary seeds than usual, or because I'm phasing out some old ones, and I always try a few replacements.  Next year, I will try to be back down to Heinz size again, you know, "57 varieties." ;-)

A new offering this year is a miniature bush pea plant.  You supposedly can keep this on your kitchen table (if you have enough light) and it will bear a mountain of regular sized peas.  I'm anxious to see if it really does.  This could become a very popular addition to the lineup.  My neighboring vendor started doing large bowls of cut-and-come-again lettuces, and they just fly off her shelf.

I'm already getting pre-orders.  Everyone is itching to get outside.  This was a nasty winter - not nearly as cold as last year, and not as much snow - but it was so DREARY!  Day after day of clouds, spitting snow, misting rain mixed with sleet and ice - and that makes for winter misery.

But at last I think it is behind us.  The pastures are already greening up.  Last year at this time they were still under snow.  I am hopeful that we will not have to buy any more hay this year, that we will eke out the last of the winter feed with the few bales we have left.  The cows are already leaving the dry hay behind to wander around in the pastures for some bits of grass.  I can see Paddock #5 from my office window, and it is quite green - not exactly Emerald Isle green yet, but it's moving in that direction.

The chickens are loving it too.  They were all the way down into Paddocks #5 and #6 yesterday.  There are a lot of trees in those two, and that means lots of leaves to scruff around in.  They are really into it - leaves flying, beaks down, only to come up and let their flock mates know of a particularly good find, methinks, based on the cackling that breaks out from time to time.

This is truly a magical time here on the farm.  I consider it a privilege to live here.  Life is good.

Blessed be!

1 comment: