Monday, December 20, 2010

Musings

I've been contemplating getting a new winter coat for everyday use - not one for barn work, and not a full length coat that I would wear for dress.  Just a nice, warm coat to wear into the market - one without hay in the pockets.  My current only non-hay corrupted coat is a full length 100% cashmere coat that I bought about ten years ago on Overstock.com.  So I have been spending some time out there hoping for another bargain.  It was only $165, and I wish I had bought two of them!  This one is getting a bit threadbare, and I want to save the last bit of goodness in it for dress up days, few though I have anymore.

Needless to say, Overstock knows I have been looking at coats, and so I hear from them frequently.  I am reminded of the mother telling her child, "If you do that one more time, I'm going to send you to your room!"  Ha!  How many times do many children hear that before the action?  I feel like a recalcitrant child whose mother is named Overstock, and she is telling me, if you order NOW, I will give you free shipping and 10% off.  Every day the bait gets a little sweeter, so why should I buy today?  It's another mother losing her credibility with her child.

I have written how, as a new bride, I wanted to impress my farmer husband when he told me not to let Rose back in the barn, as she didn't like to go back to the pasture when we were done milking.  I braced myself in the barn door to prevent her return, and Rose won.  She weighed about 1,000 pounds, and I was no match.  My right shoulder got rammed into the door frame and has given me trouble off and on ever since.  I have been having trouble with it again lately, and have even gone so far as to think I may have a torn rotator cuff.  It is quite painful.

Okay, this is a rather long and convoluted post, but it all links together.  I went to the doctor to get it looked at, and while in the waiting room, I picked up a magazine.  There was an article in there with a picture of a broken and glued together vase.  Curious, I read the accompanying text.  It told about the art of Wabi Sabi - making do with what you have.  You know, getting your priorities straight.  There is beauty in the break as well as in the vase.  The article went on to tell how you might put friends ahead of dusted furniture, that sort of thing.  Well, I learned that one a long time ago.  Before Kayla, my assistant, joined me, my friends could write their names in the dust on my furniture to keep track of when they last visited!

The article went on to talk about clothes.  I am not very fussy about styles.  Goodwill is my friend.  Since I have lost so much weight, I drop off a handful of baggy stuff at the back door and go in the front to find something that fits.  Then I remembered this lovely car coat that I bought a few years ago, on sale, very good price, but it was a little tight.  It has only gotten a little tighter over the last few years.  I would say it is about ten years old now, but looks like new.  I pulled it out of the closet and tried it on.  It fits beautifully!  Wabi Sabi - I have a new coat. 

So Mother Overstock, I will enjoy your mailing tomorrow.  Will it be 15% off?  Will there be another cashmere coat for $165?  Will I be tempted?  Maybe, but probably not.  I am enjoying watching to what lengths you will go to make a sale.  Better luck with other customers who have not learned the art of Wabi Sabi.

May you all find treasures in your own backyards this very night.

No comments:

Post a Comment