Anyway, I won't have it much longer, because at market today, everyone had a story about what to do to cure a cough. Here are a few of my favorites.
- This one is ayurvedic. Put a cup of organic whole milk and a fourth cup of water in a saucepan. Add 1/2 tsp. of freshly ground organic pepper into it. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and keep on the heat until it is reduced to one cup total. Sip a little three times a day.
- This is cough syrup. Into a saucepan, put a pint of water, a few tablespoons of honey, horehound drops (a whole bag of them), peppermint drops (a whole bag of them). Bring to a boil, then simmer until the candies are all melted. Then add a half cup of whiskey. Drink a small cup of it while it is still very hot. When you are ready for your next dose, be sure to heat it until it is steaming hot.
- Make a poultice of sliced onions. Put them in a small cloth bag, then put the bag into a dry skillet and heat, being careful not to scorch the bag. Put a towel on your chest, then the poultice, then another towel and keep on chest until cooled off. In the meantime, start a second poultice so it is hot when the first one has cooled down. Do this continuously for several hours.
- Fill a large bowl with chopped fresh onions. Cover it completely with honey. Let sit for 24 hours. The honey will draw the juice out of the onions. Take a spoon of the juice several times a day (don't eat the onions). Repeat as needed.
- Make very hot and very strong peppermint tea. Sip as needed.