Saturday, December 29, 2012

Mastering the Art of French Cooking

As I wrote a couple of days ago, my DVR player is kaput.  I dug out a movie to play on my bedroom TV so that I have something to go to sleep to.  Yes, I need some background noise to fall asleep.  Julie & Julia - that's what I have been watching.  Tonight I didn't fall asleep while watching it.  I watched every minute of it.  I love the movie.  I saw it in the theater twice, then bought the DVD so I could watch it whenever.  I love to cook, so aside from being a charming story, I love to watch the cooking.  My all time favorite movie is Babette's Feast, also about cooking.  I think I am obsessed with food. 

After seeing Julie & Julia for the first time, I came home and decided to write a blog, so that is why this blog exists.  At first I was determined to write something every day, no matter how trivial.  Obviously that has fallen by the wayside.  However, after watching the movie all the way through this evening, I am determined to get back on track.

So what happened today that might be of interest to you?  What happened here at the farm that paints a picture of my life?   

Let's see.  Today on the farm, I talked to Steve after milking, and he said Buttercup is getting better.  That is a very good thing.  We have been throwing away her milk, since she has a bad case of mastitis.  In an organic herd, there are no medicinal cures.  It requires twice a day milking, much massaging of her udder, and keeping her out of wet areas of pasture.  The milkers use Pain Relief Cream on her udder to reduce swelling, and they must make sure that all of the milk is stripped out of her four quarters twice a day.  That is about all we can do.  If it doesn't clear up, she will be culled.  That will make me sad.  She is a good old girl.  She had her fifth calf a few months ago and is pregnant again.  I hope we can get her on the road to health and celebrate the birth of her sixth calf next summer.

Now I am heading to bed with my copy of Volume Two of Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  I shall read until I fall asleep with that great book on my lap, and tomorrow I shall feast on one of Julia Child's great recipes.  I have a freezer full of beef, and I am taking out an arm roast.  I think it will be turned into Boeuf Bourguinon.  It's been a while since I have enjoyed that classic dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment