Friday, November 19, 2010

This is work!

I am glad that Kayla is such a fast learner.  She is scaling that learning curve at record speed!  But still, there is that small amount of training for each new product, and I have many!

Today, we added two new lip glosses to the line, one with lots of grape flavoring, another called "Buttercream" that tastes a lot like Tollhouse cookie dough, of which I am a big fan.  It is one of the few things that I really do miss from my sugarholic days.

So anyway, in addition to training, I am slogging through the paperwork involved in putting an employee on board.  It is not easy!  I have spent most of the morning reading instructions on the internet and filling out forms so that everything is in order.  I had several employees when I had my restaurant, but it has been a long time since I have had to deal with such things, and I am getting older and hold less patience for all of the details.

In addition to this, I am utilizing my free time to do some honing of my business expenses.  I will not tell you how many hours it took to set up this latest thing, but I can now swipe credit cards with my new cell phone.  I wanted to make sure it was working correctly before Saturday market.  It will make its maiden voyage tomorrow, and if all goes well, I will be able to cancel my phone line at the market - $37 a month.  I am paying $12.95 a month for the new service, and my fee per transaction drops from 80 cents to 30 cents - a very good thing.  Now if it works as well as the old land-line system, I will see a considerable savings.

There is so much to do with the holidays coming on!  Kayla and I are just barely keeping up, and there are the extra things to do like harvesting kale to blanch and freeze.  Yes, Kayla does a little of everything!  But January is my slow month, and I am hoping that we can tackle my files.  How wonderful it will be to start February (that's when the pepper seeds start going into seedling trays) with my office organized and help at hand!

I am trying not to be too optimistic about my future, but might I have a little free time next year?  I am trying very hard not to think about new projects.  My new mantra is NO NEW PROJECTS!  

Well, back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment