Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Goosed!

Goosey Goosey Gander where shall I wander,
Upstairs, downstairs and in my lady's chamber
There I met an old man who wouldn't say his prayers,
I took him by the left leg and threw him down the stairs.

Yesterday, Androo and I went to an Amish farm near Nappanee and picked up our geese.  Andrew got two ganders and a goose, I got a pair.  We stopped at my place first and managed to wrest the pair out of the cage in Androo's car.  Driving 35 miles home with five geese in a cage was an experience.  I will spare you ALL of the details, but it was noisy!

My two geese took off, wandering around and honking mightily.  It scared the calf.  I had buttoned up the chickens first, since I didn't really want to deal with a poultry competition.  The two of them seemed okay.  I let the dogs out.  Tashi ran at them, but I commanded "leave it" and she left them alone, came back to my side.  Then the geese headed down towards the creek.  One took off to the east, the other to the west.  

I didn't see them again.

I slept poorly, waking up several times and wishing I had put them in the barn just for the first night.  This morning at daybreak, I heard a goose honking.   I think it was the gander (the guy).  He was honking at his reflection in my sliding glass door onto the lower level patio.  I went outside and he ran from me, but hung around the patio door for about a half hour.  Then he disappeared again.  I suppose he is looking for his mate. 

I hope they find each other.  And that they both find the farm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment