Sunday, May 22, 2016

The mint garden

Last year I planted several mint plants under the play platform. This spring, I discovered only one had survived. You know the old joke, "How do you get rid of mint?  Move!"  I don't have to. It grew beautifully at my house in Chicago, in fact pretty much took over the garden, but I never successfully grew it on the farm. The soil there was very sandy, and I was hoping this black soil around my house on the river would be more conducive to its growth.

Only one mint plant left from last summer? I think I know my problem. I have a veritable thicket of violets. Yes, they are pretty, but they take over just like my mint did in Chicago. So this morning I dug up every last violet plant in what I hope will be my mint garden, exposing my one and lonely mint plant from last year. Take a look at that mass of violets at the far right.

About two thirds of the violets gone
All cleaned out
The only, lonely 2015 mint plant
I bought four new mint plants at the market Saturday - one each of chocolate mint, orange mint, spearmint and peppermint. I'm going to plant them in this nice bare soil and move some of the old stones we took out from under the deck, where the concrete will be poured tomorrow, to make stepping stones in the mint garden. Next year, will it be beautiful, bountiful and violet free? Hope springs eternal.


No comments:

Post a Comment