Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year's Eve.  I'm going to a small gathering at a friend's house - an open house, so I can come and go as I please, just the right kind of party for a free spirit such as I.  We are supposed to get some nasty weather, but I'm hoping it won't hit until after I am safely home tonight.

Have you made your New Year's resolutions?  Mine is to practice what I preach - get that sugar out of my diet! 

I made cheese a couple of days ago, and the chickens are still enjoying their morning treat of whey.  The calves are doing fine, and they are becoming a little friendlier, especially since I demand a little contact with their noses before they get their morning feeding of hay.  Bribery always works - ask our politicians, especially Joe Lieberman!  The cows are still milking great, and we are all swimming in milk thanks to our two loaner cows, Phyllis and Delilah.  They are fitting into the herd well.  Sam is bored - everyone is bred, so he is on hiatus.  Poor Sam!

We have so much milk that I am having a cheese workshop on Sunday to get rid of the overflow. One of our shareholders couldn't pick up her milk this week and donated it, two others are bringing some extra, so we are going to be able to make Gouda, paneer, cottage cheese, ghee and cultured butter.  I warned the people coming for the workshop that they are all going to be put to work!!  We will have a lot of irons in the fire.  But many hands make light work, and there is no better way to learn than to do.

I'm picking up the fixings for Saag Paneer, and those who want to stay for supper will get a taste of a fantastic Indian dish. 

Well, I'm off to market.  Make that resolution, and try to keep it for at least a week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment