Sunday, January 6, 2013

Catching up

I'm still working on paperwork, and the list of things to do for the market is pretty long.  However, as usual I am putzing around in the kitchen instead of sticking with the necessary stuff.

The sourdough is fed because I have a couple of orders for Sourdough Rye to deliver to Purple Porch on Wednesday.  It takes the best part of two days to make it, first feed the starter (then let it sit until it is bubbly), then saute onions along with some caraway seeds and mix into a bowl of water and fresh ground rye berries (then let it sit until it is bubbly), then add the last of the flour and the salt and stir it all up (then let it sit until it is bubbly), finally put into the bread pans (then let it sit until it has visibly risen), and pop in the oven for an hour and forty-five minutes.  So like I said, if I want bread by Wednesday, best to start now.

I made four containers of yogurt.  Just love my Excalibur food dehydrator, because it has a thermostat and one can do yogurt in it - LOTS of yogurt!!  It will be ready to come out about 10:00 tonight.

I started some almonds soaking in salt water.   I will drain them and spread onto the Excalibur trays, then pop them into the dehydrator as soon as the yogurt is done.  They will dehydrate for at least 24 hours.  The nuts will be slightly salty, very crispy, and better for you than plain raw almonds, or so Sally Fallon Morrell of Weston A. Price fame says.  Here's the science:  Why soak your almonds before eating?

I'm debating about what to make for supper.  The boeuf borguignon of New Year's Eve is gone, no more leftovers.  I made some low-carb penne with vodka sauce for lunch.  Yum!  I had a bowl of collards in beef broth for a mid-afternoon snack.  There is a package of hamburger thawing on the counter.  Maybe just a big burger from the grill with some crumbled goat cheese on top, a little thin sliced onion.  Yes, I think that will do it.

Bon appetit.


No comments:

Post a Comment